Saturday, June 22, 2013

The Table is Set

We've been here two weeks today. Unpacking, resting up, getting settled. It's been so great to be together day in and day out. I don't think it's really registered with me
that I live in Virginia. It doesn't feel like home, yet.

Our house though is wonderful. In many ways it feels like retreat- a sanctuary. The back yard is small but beautiful. A courtyard, really. Shaded by trees. A brick patio with a fire pit and chairs in a circle. Every night some, if not all, of us venture out to sit under the lights. We listen to music, talk, laugh. Just hang out. If I didn't know better I'd think I was sitting in the courtyard of a winery in Sonoma. It's peaceful and soul-restoring.

So, the journey to Virginia has ended. Another one has begun. Who knows where this leg of the race will take us. Perhaps we will stay in Virginia for a long time- maybe even the rest of our lives. I doubt it  knowing us. Perhaps in 18 months we will be packing up again to begin another adventure. For now, I'm content to be here. To be where I am.

Last night at dinner Noah kept asking if he could stay up late. Did he have to go to bed at his normal bed time. Over and over he kept asking. Finally, Harrison looked at him and said, "Dude, do you know what living in the moment is? Stop thinking about bedtime and enjoy your dinner."

When Harrison said that it reminded me of one of my favorite quotes. It's from a book by C.S. Lewis- from his space trilogy.  "The meal in front of us is the best meal we've ever eaten." That's it. That sums up how I want to live my life. In the right now. What is in front of me right now is the best.

Steve and I have committed to one another not to talk about what's next for us-not until the Lord brings it up. For now, we are here. In Norfolk. In the the neighborhood of Ghent. At Kempsville Presbyterian Church. Feasting on the meal that is before us today.




1 comment:

  1. Just found this post! So good, loved being in your courtyard until the rain came, sorry we brought it.
    I'll remember the great fish meal we had all together and just living life with each other for those few day.
    Greensboro . . . . I know you aren't thinking yet???

    ReplyDelete